Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Granola

I have a love/hate relationship with granola. I love it because it tastes great and makes me feel like I'm eating well. But then I look at the ingredient list and the nutritional information and I am disappointed. Recently I've been trying to eat healthfully and my dear, sweet, husband is slowly catching on to the idea. He has also decided he would switch from his regular Berry Colossal Crunch (the poor man's version of  fruity Captain Crunch) for granola. Yesterday I was out of my regular cereal and he suggested his granola. IT. WAS. AMAZING. It had been a few years since I had granola and even then I think it was on my mision and muesli (similar, but no added sweeteners/fats). Curse you granola, for tasting so good!
After work J and I had some time to kill uptown because he had a meeting down here at 6:30 and I wasn't in the mood to pick him up from work, drive up to Metairie and then turn right araound to drop him off. So we decided to go on our regular date of choice: to the grocery store. We're weird. But whatever. The grocery store is romantic. We went to Whole Foods and browsed around for a good bit until I decided "Hey! I pinned a recipe for granola this morning! We should make some!" So while J rolled his eyes as he usually does when I bring up Pinterest, I pulled up the pin and got the ingredients.

Pinned Image
Mine definitely turned out darker than this. But not too different otherwise.

When I got home after his meeting I quickly got started on the granola. The only problem was that I read it on my phone instead of my computer and mixed up the steps. Instead of mixing a few ingredients separately, I mixed everything together at once. This didn't effect the taste, but it made it so that only a few things were in clumps as opposed to most things. Also, I followed the baking time which was off. We should have stopped after 30 minutes but cooked it the entire 40. Not that the granola was burnt, per se, but it did has a distinctly "cooked too long" taste. But this morning when I poured my milk over it, it tasted a-okay to me.

So here's the pin. I would recommend it. But like I said, follow the instructions better than I did and don't cook it for as long. 30 minutes is the longest you'll want to cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment