Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Melted Crayon Art

We've all seen it. The melted crayon art. The crafter takes a blank canvas and a ton of old crayons- because Heaven knows we all have tons of them lying around the house. Well, most of us. I don't have kids, but I do work with kids at church and after a bit of cleaning the closet I had 2 BUCKETS worth of crayons. After seeing this pin, I thought, "Why the heck not?!"

So I toted my buckets of crayons home and did what I usually do with newly acquired craft items... I put them in my craft corner (we're young and college students- space is at a premium, so no craft room for me) for a few weeks. My conscience and growing pile of craft goodies got to me and I finally caved. So here goes nothing!


I used an exacto to help me peel the wrappers off of the crayons. I didn't want wrappers on because they weren't all the same brand and I didn't want it to look tacky.

I used a glue gun to glue the crayons to the canvas. Nothing fancy here. Put the crayons in whatever position you want. I am not a perfectionist so I put them a bit willy-nilly. I'm good at doing that.


Sturdy.

I would recommend using something underneath your work area. My canvas was only a 12X16 and once the crayons start melting they spread quickly. As my carpet can attest. Shh! Don't tell anyone! Luckily we have green carpet to hopefully it blends in.

Psychedelic.


I had these stickers lying around from when I made a journal. I will be adding white flowers to replace some of these pink ones.

Overall, the project cost a whopping $3. It worked pretty well. I started it at aroun10:15 and finished in 30 minutes. Peeling the wrappers takes some time (thus the use of the Exacto), but everything else went quickly. Shoot, to melt the crayons with the blow dryer took less time than it takes to dry my hair with the same blow dryer.

My recommendation? DO IT!
Check out the original pin here. 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Our first post! I'm so proud. :)

    Also, I love the color choice. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Megan. If I could figure out how to get pictures on here I could post too!!

    ReplyDelete