Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Almond Chocolate Toffee

I'm awake after 12 on a Sunday night knowing I'll need to be at church tomorrow for meetings at 7:30. Why you ask? To make toffee. What kind of sadist does that you ask? Well me, so back off. I'm making it for a few different reasons. Primarily because my husband was informed this week that there would be a fireside tomorrow evening and that he would be in charge of it. Being the dear person he is, he forgot to ask people to bring stuff so I'm making things. But secondarily, I'm making it for the people I work with at church. I work with some amazing people and want to make a few treats for them before they go on Christmas vacations with their families around the country. Since the first one to leave leaves Monday, I'll be bringing it by tomorrow. Long story. Sorry. So here is some toffee I felt like making.

English Toffee:

1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds or pecans (for bottom layer)
1 cup butter (salted)
1 cup sugar
1 T light corn syrup
3 T water
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds or pecans (for top layer)
Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and sprinkle 1/2 cup of toasted almonds in the pan on the foil. In heavy saucepan melt butter. Add sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat to boiling.
Cook and stir over medium heat to 290 degrees using a candy thermometer (soft-crack stage). Watch carefully and stir, it can burn easily after 280 degrees. Remove from heat and pour mixture over the nuts in the pan immediately. Let stand 5 minutes or until firm but still hot. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and let the stand for 1 to 2 minutes. When softened, spread chocolate over mixture. Sprinkle the chocolate with nuts. Chill till firm. 
I've made this recipe to the letter before and found it could use adjustments. So here's where I tweaked it tonight: 
I still think it could use more nuts on the bottom.

Cooking. I love my new candy thermometer.
1 c chopped almonds (pecans are pricy this year for multiple reasons so no pecans)on the bottom

I like this recipe but the taste never seems quite right. I may need to try another recipe. But give it a try here and let me know what you think.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I agre on your reason for no pecans. The price is totally cramping my praline cravings. I'm going to give this a try and let you know how it goes. I wonder why Christmas instantly sends us to crafting and treat making? Could it be our shared heritage of Grandma CoCo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What a good little wife you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete