Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Italian Wonderpot

I'm continuing my Budget Bytes kick with another pin. Specifically, this one here.
Italian Wonderpot - Budget Bytes
The Italian Wonderpot

It's a spin on a Martha Stewart creation, according to the genius behind Budget Bytes. I followed the recipe pretty closely but switched things up a bit, as I am wont to do. It turned out pretty good, but I think I will make a few adjustments in the future. Specifically, I'm not sure that I will use whole grain pasta. It was a bit filling and now my tummy is rumbling a bit. In addition, I think I might add some mushrooms to the mix. I love mushrooms. Either way, without even asking Justin has deemed this a repeat (I usually have to pry it out of him) and since it only took 35 minutes from start to finish, I agree. This is the recipe and how I did it:

Ingredients
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 12 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
  • 8 oz. frozen chopped spinach
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • ½ Tbsp dried basil           I used 1.5T of homemade Italian seasoning, the recipe for which is here.
  • ½ Tbsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • freshly cracked pepper to taste
  • 2 oz. feta cheese
Instructions
  1. Add four cups of vegetable broth to a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half to make stirring easier later, and then add it to the pot. Also add the canned tomatoes (undrained), olive oil, frozen spinach, onion (thinly sliced chopped), garlic (thinly sliced), basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, red pepper, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
  2. Make sure the ingredients are submerged under the liquid, place a lid on top of the pot, and then turn the heat on to high. Allow the pot to come up to a full, rolling boil over high heat then remove the lid and turn the heat down to medium.
  3. Allow the pot to continue to boil over medium heat, without a lid, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir the pot every few minutes as it cooks to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom, but avoid over stirring which can cause the pasta to become sticky and mushy. The pot must be boiling the entire time.
  4. After the pasta is cooked, crumble the feta cheese over top and serve.

My photo is less-than-desirable and unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of my sous chef since he was busy gumming a apple wheel to bits that later ended up stuck to his onesie. Apparently even blogspot finds the picture so unappetizing it wouldn't upload it. 

In order to get more protein I sliced up some chicken breasts, threw them in some Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (and just hat- no egg wash or anything to make it stick) and sauteed them in olive oil until they browned. Justin said they were fancy chicken nuggets, but I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment