Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dream Machine



About a year ago an aunt gave my mom a lot of things that had been sitting in her storage unit. Because we were still living with my parents my brothers got the furniture and most appliances. I kept a few neat decor pieces and an ice cream maker. I would say I got the better end of the deal. We didn't use the ice cream maker much until a few weeks ago when organizing cabinets and chucking things I didn't use (who needs two fondue pots??). I was about to chuck it but decided, "let me try it first to see if it's worth keeping." Boy howdy, is it worth it! We started off with a Giada DeLaurentiis recipe for Chocolate-Hazelnut gelato. DELICIOUS! Next we tried a rocky road recipe. It was okay, but I need to tweek the recipe a bit. Last weekend we went to Houston and wanted to bring our dream machine with us. Because my sister-in-law is lactose intolerant we thought we'd try our hand at a raspberry lemonade sorbet recipe I'd seen on Pinterest. It was a bust. My in-law's freezer does not get cold enough and it just tasted not quite how I'd like. But at a trip to Sam's this week they had raspberries on sale so I bought a pint, a bag of lemons and set out to find a recipe that would work.

Lemon Raspberry Sorbet | The Frozen Fix: SO TASTY! I nixed the vodka and used 1c water 1.5c raspberry lemonade


Any recipe that calls for lemon zest is all right with me. I love using it and my beautiful little juicer. They make me feel like a serious chef. So the fact that I got to use both tools made my heart happy. While this didn't have a very strong raspberry taste like the previous recipe did. I tried to add a bit of raspberry flavoring my subbing some of the water for the Real Lemonade Raspberry Lemonade. I tell you, I could have eaten it all straight out of the ice cream maker. Shoot, we all had a taste- Justin, Atticus, and myself. Well, Atticus licked the spatula I used to transfer everything. He is my son- he loves lemons.
The basics- lemon juice, lemon zest, and raspberries. The bottle warmer and bottle drying rack were not involved. They just wanted to be part of the picture. 


My sous chef approved 

super tasty.

It almost didn't make it to the container; I just wanted to eat all of it.

Here's the modified recipe:

4 large lemons (or enough to yield 1 cup of lemon juice)
2 1/2 cups water  1c water 1.5c raspberry lemonade
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries
OPTIONAL: 2 tablespoons vodka (for smoother texture)  <-- Not needed- these people just like vodka.
Zest two lemons. Squeeze all four lemons to yield 1 cup of juice. Strain the lemon juice through a sieve to remove the seeds and pulp. In a medium saucepan, heat water, sugar, and lemon zest until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add in the lemon juice. Chill in the refrigerator or with an ice bath. If desired, stir in vodka. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Just as you are reaching the desired consistency, pour in the raspberries and churn for another minute or two until they are fully mixed in.- I actually churned it for about 10 more minutes; the raspberries broke up and got a bit better interspersed throughout the sherbet.


No comments:

Post a Comment