Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

For a Girl's BFF

I'm not an especially girly girl. While I like doing crafty things and cooking, and I try to look nice, the fact of the matter is that I didn't start wearing makeup until I was almost 24. And doing hair? hahahaha, I'm lucky if I can use a curling iron wihtout burning myself. It's only fitting then, that my BFF (not my husband) is also not a girly girl. In fact, she's even less-so than I am. She's very athletic and quite the tomboy. I saw that out od admiration, not to make her look weird or anything. She knows it and embraces it. Which is part of the reason why I love her so much. We were "next door neighbors" in the dorms so when I discovered my 1st semester roommate NEVER showered, I would often go next door and hang out with her. It was a haven for me. Through the college years we never got to live together, but we would hang out regularly and I always admired her. She was smart, awesome, quirky (in a good way) and knew she was her own woman. Yeah, I'm gushing. I can't help it.

Fast forward a few years and it's her birthday and I now have Pinterest in my life. When I saw this pin I got uber excited. KitKat (as I call her) is quite the baseball/softball fan. So I knew I wanted to make this for her birthday gift.
Pinned Image 

Because I am clumsy and not very familiar with baseballs (as Kaycee will attest from our little league days) I just bought the cheapest one I could find (since I would be taking it apart essentially). Bad idea. The ball ended up being a weird plasticy/foamy material. Other than that, I think this craft is pretty good. Here's what I did:
I was stuck at church while J had a meeting so I got out my ball and X-acto knife. It worked like a charm.

Within about 3 minutes I had the ball cut apart appropriately.

I cut the form apart and measured it around my wrist and then cut it to size. I think I cut it too large because it's loose on my wrist and KitKat's thinner than I am. But essentially I loosened the knots and cut off some of the white so that it would be tied.

And yeah, it's a bit too loose. I think I may either cut it smaller and/or go get a better, LEATHER baseball so that it looks nicer.
So is this pin worth it? Heck yeah! I think it's awesome! And for the cost of a baseball? Why not do it for the baseball/softball lover in your life? Oh, and even though she probably doesn't read this: Happy Birthday KitKat!

3 comments:

  1. I thought I was your BFF! ;) I would also enjoy one of these for my b-day.

    What I am most impressed by is the fact that you brought a baseball and Xacto knife to church to maximize your craft time. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always carry something crafty to do in my spare time. I crochet while waiting in line at Wal-Mart. I just keep having to remind Justin not to hate. And I will totally make one for you. It was easy and pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should probably not admit to this but I have crocheted in stopped traffic.

    I keep books in my bag as well. I sometimes wish I had a Kindle because it is much lighter than the tomes I carry around.

    ReplyDelete