Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Padded Chair

I inherited a piece of history. It's a rolling chair. It's about 25 years old and used to be my dad's. I can remember it since it sat at his desk which was right outside of my bedroom until I was almost 12. It still functions pretty well except for one thing... The padding. To say it is sparse is being polite. I'll just say this- the plastic trim going around it sticks up more than the padding. This poor chaise has seen better days. I've been meaning to recover it but have been putting it off for a while. But recently I also got the spark to redo a desk and hutch that sit in my room and thought this would be perfect- to recover the chair to accompany the desk. The desk combo is not yet finished. It should be done by this weekend, but we'll see. However, this chair redo was quick and pretty easy. I did it while sitting on the ground watching TV with my husband and nephew. All in all, it took about 30 minutes. The biggest obstacle was actually getting material for it. At first I bought a pattern I loved. But realized it was not sturdy enough. Then I went to the home decor fabrics. But forgot the measurements of the chair and didn't get enough. So finally, with measurements in hand, I went to the fabric store and purchased enough of a fabric I loved! It cost me $9 for a yard. And here's the result:



The original chair

Unscrew the pads from the base

Lay your fabric, printed side down and place your foam piece.

Next, place your pad, face down, on top of the foam. For my second part, to support the back, I had to trim the foam about 2".
More after the jump!


Fill in the edges with batting.


Next, pull the edges back as tautly as you can and staple them to the hard back. I used a staple gun and the staples didn't go all the way down so I had to use a hammer to pound them in all the way.
Vincent helped with the nails. Not really. But he was really excited about the project.


The finished project. Make sure you either leave space to see where the screws go or else you will have to dig them out with an exacto knife of cutting scissors. I had to do it with the bottom part and decided to trim the top so it wouldn't be as difficult.

Quiqui was intrigued. But didn't care much for the noise.

In total this project cost about $ 17. This is for the yard of fabric I bought, the foam pieces, and the staples. My dad already had the staple gun and I already had the batting.

Oh, and I kind of followed this pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment