Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gospel ABCs

I was called to lead the children 12 and under at my church last August. Since then I've been getting a hold of things and trying to switch some things around. The kids 18 months to 3 attend what they call the nursery. There they sing, have a short lesson (5 minutes about), and play. Because we had some new cabinets installed (after asking for them for a year), I feel like sprucing the place up. They have posters of typical kid songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, but I wanted to add some things that were more churchy. In comes this pin I saw om Pinterest. It's for a quiet book for little kids, but I wanted to make it bigger and switch up a few things. So what I did was copy their list of A-Z, then rewrite them to fit an entire page (they were filling up at about 1/4 of a page and since the room is pretty big, I wanted it bigger. Plus I wanted a different font). Also, instead of making the type white and the background different colors, I decided to simply do an outline and then color the wording. I like coloring and it gave me an excuse. The next thing I did was raid my gospel art kit which has pictures relating to different scripture stories and such. They would be easier than finding and printing 26 different pictures. And here is the end result..


I came up with outlines for my lettering.

I enjoy coloring so I did a second outline in marker and colored the pages in with colored pencils.
More after the jump!


To add some cohesion I took 9 posted boards and taped them together. Next. I added solid colored paper to give it a little bit of a background.

I staggered the rows and added both church pictures from the church art box (the blue one- we got one as a wedding gift), as well as old coloring pages from from old copies of The Friend. This was the almost finished product. I later added the remaining colored pictures.

Justin and I covered all of the edges with clear packing tape to keep it up there. This past Saturday we were at church for an AMAZING conference with an apostle of the Lord and I went to check in on my art. IT. WAS. MISSING! Luckily I knew the woman who had been in there with her kids and I asked what happened. Apparently it fell down and she and her sister moved it so that the kids wouldn't trample it. My 6+ hours were lying on the ground in the other room with several pages crumpled from the fall. So now I'm left wondering.. Should I fix it and put it up again? Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it up on the wall? My heart is a little broken and I'd appreciate any tips.

Oh, and here's the original pin. Like I said, a bit different from the original and it was super cute. The pictures do not do it justice. I think if I do do it again I will tape the posters up individually and not all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment