Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Cinnamon Breakfast Bites

I agreed to bring treats to celebrate a co-worker's birthday. Normally I wouldn't think twice and bring the standard sopapilla cheesecake, but since I'm on the Wellness Committee and we had a health screening coming up, I couldn't justify the copious amounts of butter and sugar. (Well there's that and the fact that I didn't have crescent rolls in the fridge...but we're going with the "I actually wanted to be healthy" for the purposes of this post.)

So, I went searching on Pinterest for a pin that I could modify to include beans instead of butter/shortening. I remembered this gem:

http://pinterest.com/pin/203365739393831118/
...and got going. The recipe is below for your betterment. Yeah, I was thinking of you when I did this. :)

Ingredients
1-1/4 cups flour (I used a mixture of whole wheat and bean flour)
1 cup crisp rice cereal, coarsely crushed
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Butter Buds (this is the “secret” ingredient that makes them so delicious)
1/4 cup mashed great northern beans

I used a food processor to get them completely smooth.
1/2 cup skim milk
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons of butter, melted

Directions

1. Mix flour, crushed cereal, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt and Butter Buds in large bowl.


2. Cut in beans with pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

3. Add milk and stir just until moistened. (More mixing making them gummy and dense. Less mixing is light and fluffy!)

4. Roll dough into approximately 2-1/2 dozen 1 inch balls.

5. Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar in a small bowl. Drop balls into melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.

6. Place balls into a greased or nonstick mini muffin pan.

7. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in pan on wire rack before removing.



Makes approx. 2-1/2 dozen bites and gives you protein and whole grains in a tasty breakfast snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment